Useful Works of Reference
The Holy Quran's Translation in English by Abdullah Yousuf Ali
The wide compass of the Quran makes it necessary to consult works of reference on almost every conceivable subject, to enable us to elucidate the various points that arise. To deal adequately with such a Book, the widest reading is necessary as well as the most varied experience in life. But the interests of readers require that a handy Commentary should not roam too far afield. Bearing this in view the three essential kinds of books would be: (a) Previous Commentaries ; (b) previous Translations ; (c) Dictionaries and General Works of Reference easily accessible.
I have set out (a) and (b) in the previous two Notes. l note a few under (c):
1. Imam Abul-Qasim Husain Ragib's Mufradat: a concise Arabic dictionary of words and phrases in the Quran. Already mentioned under Commentaries.
2. The well-known Arabic Dictionary, Qamus.
3. The well-known Arabic Dictionary, Lisan-ul-Arab.
4. The concise Arabic-Perisan Dictionary, Surah.
5. J. Penrice's Dictionary & Glossary of the Koran.
6. E. W. Lane: Eniglish-Arabic Lexicon.
Jalal-ud-din Suyuti's Itqanfil ulum-il-Quran: a veritable encyclopedia of Quranic
Institute Al-Islam. Copyright © 1998 - 2008. All rights reserved.