Bani Isra'il; The Children of Israel
Surah 17 (Chapter
17); 111 Verses
|1. Glory to (Allah) Who did take His Servant for Journey by night from
the Sacred Mosque to the Farthest Mosque whose precincts We did Bless in order that We
might show him some of Our Signs: for He is the one Who heareth and seeth (all things).
2. We gave Moses the Book and made it a Guide to the Children of Israel (commanding): "Take not other than Me as Disposer of (your) affairs."
3. O ye that are sprung from those whom We carried (in the Ark) with Noah! verily he was a devotee most grateful.
4. And We gave (clear) warning to the Children of Israel in the Book that twice would they do mischief on the earth and be elated with mighty arrogance (and twice would they be punished)!
5. When the first of the warnings came to pass We sent against you Our servants given to terrible warfare: They entered the very inmost parts of your homes; and it was a warning (completely) fulfilled.
6. Then did We grant you the Return as against them: We gave you increase in resources and sons and made you the more numerous in manpower.
7. If ye did well ye did well for yourselves; if ye did evil (ye did it) against yourselves; so when the second of the warnings came to pass (We permitted your enemies) to disfigure your faces and to enter your Temple as they had entered if before and to visit with destruction all that fell into their power.
8. It may be that your Lord may (yet) show Mercy unto you; but if ye revert (to your sins) We shall revert (to Our punishments): and We have made Hell a prison for those who reject (all Faith).
9. Verily this Qur'an doth guide to that which is most right (or stable) and giveth the glad tidings to the Believers who work deeds of righteousness that they shall have a magnificent reward;
10. And to those who believe not in the Hereafter (it announceth) that We have prepared for them a Penalty grievous (indeed).
Section 211. The prayer that man should make for good he maketh for evil: for man is given to hasty (deeds).
12. We have made the Night and the Day as two (of Our) Signs: the Sign of the Night have We obscured while the Sign of the day We have made to enlighten you; that ye may seek Bounty from your Lord and that ye may know the number and count of the years: all things have We explained in detail.
13. Every man's fate We have fastened on his own neck: on the Day of Judgment We shall bring out for him a scroll which he will see spread open.
14. (It will be said to him:) "Read thine (own) record: sufficient is thy soul this day to make out an account against thee."15. Who receiveth guidance receiveth it for his own benefit: who goeth astray doth so tho his own loss: no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another: nor would We visit with Our Wrath until We had sent an apostle (to give warning).
16. When We decide to destroy a population We (first) send a definite order to those among them who are given the good things of this life and yet transgress; so that the word is proved true against them: then (it is) We destroy them utterly.
17. How many generations have We destroyed after Noah? And enough is thy Lord to note and see the sins of His servants.18. If any do wish for the transitory things (of this life) We readily grant them such things as We will to such persons as We will: in the end have We provided Hell for them: they will burn therein disgraced and rejected.
19. Those who do wish for the (things of) the Hereafter and strive therefor with all due striving and have Faith they are the ones whose striving is acceptable (to Allah).
20. Of the bounties of thy Lord We bestow freely on all these as well as those: the bounties of thy Lord are not closed (to anyone).
21. See how We have bestowed more on some than on others; but verily the Hereafter is more in rank and gradation and more in excellence.
22. Take not with Allah another object of worship; or thou (O man!) wilt sit in disgrace and destitution.
Section 323. Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life say not to them a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honor.
24. And out of kindness lower to them the wing of humility and say: "My Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood."
25. Your Lord knoweth best what is in your hearts: if ye do deeds of righteousness verily He is Most Forgiving to those who turn to Him again and again (in true penitence).26. And render to the kindred their due rights as (also) to those in want and to the wayfarer: but squander not (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift.
27. Verily spendthrifts are brothers of the Evil Ones; and the Evil One is to his Lord (Himself) ungrateful.
28. And even if thou hast to turn away from them in pursuit of the Mercy from thy Lord which thou dost expect yet speak to them a word of easy kindness.
29. Make not thy hand tied (like a niggard's) to thy neck nor stretch it forth to its utmost reach so that thou become blameworthy and destitute.
30. Verily thy Lord doth provide sustenance in abundance for whom He pleaseth and He provideth in a just measure: for He doth know and regard all His servants.
Section 431. Kill not your children for fear of want: We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you: verily the killing of them is a great sin.
32. Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil opening the road (to other evils).
33. Nor take life which Allah has made sacred except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully We have given his heir authority (to demand Qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life: for he is helped (by the Law).34. Come not nigh to the orphan's property except to improve it until he attains the age of full strength; and fulfil (every) engagement for (every) engagement will be enquired into (on the Day of Reckoning).
35. Give full measure when ye measure and weigh with a balance that is straight: that is the most fitting and the most advantageous in the final determination.
36. And pursue not that of which thou hast no knowledge; for every act of hearing or of seeing or of (feeling in) the heart will be enquired into (on the Day of Reckoning).
37. Nor walk on the earth with insolence: for thou canst not rend the earth asunder nor reach the mountains in height.
38. Of all such things the evil is hateful in the sight of thy Lord.
39. These are among the (precepts of) wisdom which thy Lord Has revealed to thee. Take not with Allah another object of worship lest thou shouldst be thrown into Hell blameworthy and rejected.40. Has then your Lord (O Pagans!) preferred for you sons and taken for Himself daughters among the angels? Truly ye utter a most dreadful saying!
Section 541. We have explained (things) in various (ways) in this Qur'an in order that they may receive admonition but it only increases their flight (from the Truth)!
42. Say: if there had been (other) gods with Him as they say behold they would certainly have sought out a way to the Lord of the Throne!
43. Glory to him! He is high above all that they say! Exalted and Great (beyond measure)!
44. The seven heavens and the earth and all beings therein declare His glory: there not a thing but celebrates His praise; and yet ye understand not how they declare His glory! Verily He is Oft- Forbearing Most Forgiving!45. When thou dost recite the Qur'an We put between thee and those who believe not in the Hereafter a veil invisible:
46. And We put coverings over their hearts (and minds) lest they should understand the Qur'an and deafness into their ears: when thou dost commemorate thy Lord and Him alone in the Qur'an they turn on their backs fleeing (from the Truth).
47. We know best why it is they listen when they listen to thee; and when they meet in private conference Behold the wicked say "Ye follow none other than a man bewitched!"
48. See what similes thy strike for thee; but they have gone astray and never can they find a way.49. They say: "What! when we are reduced to bones and dust should we really be raised up (to be) a new creation?"
50. Say: "(Nay!) be ye stones or iron
51. "Or created matter which in your minds is hardest (to be raised up)- -(yet shall ye be raised up)!" Then will they say: "Who will cause us to return?" Say: "He Who created you first!" Then will they wag their heads towards thee and say "When will that be?" Say "Maybe it will be quite soon!
52. "It will be on a Day when He will call you and ye will answer (His call) with (words of) His praise and ye will think that ye tarried but a little while!"
Section 653. Say to My servants that they should (only) say those things that are best: for Satan doth sow dissensions among them: for Satan is to man an avowed enemy.
54. It is your Lord that knoweth you best: if He please He granteth you mercy or if He please punishment: We have not sent thee to be a disposer of their affairs for them.
55. And it is your Lord that knoweth best all beings that are in the heavens and on earth: We did bestow on some Prophets more (and other) gifts than on others: and We gave to David (the gift of) the Psalms.56. Say: "Call on those besides Him whom ye fancy: they have neither the power to remove your troubles from you nor to change them."
57. Those whom they call upon do desire (for themselves) means of access to their Lord even those who are nearest: they hope for His Mercy and fear His Wrath: for the Wrath of thy Lord is something to take heed of.58. There is not a population but We shall destroy it before the Day of Judgment or punish it with a dreadful Penalty: that is written in the (eternal) Record.
59. And We refrain from sending the Signs only because the men of former generations treated them as false: We sent the She-camel: to the Thamud to open their eyes but they treated her wrongfully: We only send the Signs by way of terror (and warning from evil).
60. Behold! We told thee that thy Lord doth encompass mankind round about: We granted the Vision which We showed thee but as a trial for men as also the Cursed Tree (mentioned) in the Qur'an: We put terror (and warning) into them but it only increases their inordinate transgression!
Section 761. Behold! We said to the angels: "Bow down unto Adam": they bowed down except Iblis: he said "Shall I bow down to one whom Thou didst create from clay?"
62. He said "Seest Thou? This is the one whom thou hast honored above me! If Thou wilt but respite me to the Day of Judgment I will surely bring his descendants under my sway all but a few!"
63. Allah said: "Go thy way; if any of them follow thee verily Hell will be the recompense of you (all) an ample recompense.
64. "Lead to destruction those whom thou canst among them with thy (seductive) voice; make assaults on them with thy cavalry and thy infantry; mutually share with them wealth and children; and make promises to them. But Satan promises them nothing but deceit.
65. "As for My servants no authority shalt thou have over them." Enough is thy Lord for a Disposer of affairs.66. Your Lord is He that maketh the Ship go smoothly for you through the sea in order that ye may seek of His Bounty: for He is unto you Most Merciful.
67. When distress seizes you at sea those that ye call upon besides Himself leave you in the lurch! But when He brings you back safe to land ye turn away (from Him). Most ungrateful is man!
68. Do ye then feel secure that He will not cause you to be swallowed up beneath the earth when ye are on land or that He will not send against you a violent tornado (with showers of stones) so that ye shall find no one to carry out your affairs for you?
69. Or do ye feel secure that He will not send you back a second time to sea and send against you a heavy gale to drown you because of your ingratitude so that ye find no helper therein against Us?
70. We have honored the sons of Adam; provided them with transport on land and sea; given them for sustenance things good and pure; and conferred on them special favors above a great part of Our Creation.
Section 871. One day We shall call together all human beings with their (respective) Imams: those who are given their record in their right hand will read it (with pleasure) and they will not be dealt with unjustly in the least.
72. But those who were blind in this world will be blind in the Hereafter and most astray from the Path.73. And their purpose was to tempt thee away from that which We had revealed unto thee to substitute in Our name something quite different: (in that case) behold! they would certainly have made thee (their) friend!
74. And had We not given thee strength thou wouldst nearly have inclined to them a little.
75. In that case We should have made thee taste an equal portion (of punishment) in this life and an equal portion in death: and moreover thou wouldst have found none to help thee against Us!
76. Their purpose was to scare thee off the land in order to expel thee; but in that case they would not have stayed (therein) after thee except for a little while.
77. (This was Our) way with the apostles We sent before thee: thou wilt find no change in Our ways.
Section 978. Establish regular prayers at the sun's decline till the darkness of the night and the morning prayer and reading: for the prayer and reading in the morning carry their testimony.
79. And pray in the small watches of the morning: (it would be) an additional prayer (or spiritual profit) for thee: soon will thy Lord raise thee to a station of Praise and Glory!
80. Say: "O my Lord! let my entry be by the Gate of Truth and Honor and likewise my exit by the Gate of Truth and Honor; and grant me from Thy Presence an authority to aid (me)."
81. And say: "Truth has (now) arrived and Falsehood perished: for Falsehood is (by its nature) bound to perish."
82. We send down (stage by stage) in the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe: to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss.83. Yet when We bestow Our favors on man he turns away and becomes remote on his side (instead of coming to Us) and when Evil seizes him he gives himself up to despair!
84. Say: "Everyone acts according to his own disposition: but your Lord knows best who it is that is best guided on the Way."
Section 1085. They ask thee concerning the Spirit (of inspiration). Say: "The Spirit (cometh) by command of my Lord: of knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you (O men!)
86. If it were Our Will We could take away that which We have sent thee by inspiration: then would thou find none to plead thy affair in that matter as against Us
87. Except for Mercy from thy Lord: for His Bounty is to thee (indeed) great.88. Say: "If the whole of mankind and Jinns were to gather together to produce the like of this Qur'an they could not produce the like thereof even if they backed up each other with help and support.
89. And We have explained to man in this Qur'an every kind of similitude: yet the grater part of men refuse (to receive it) except with ingratitude!
90. They say: "We shall not believe in thee until thou cause spring to gush forth for us from the earth
91. "Or (until) thou have a garden of date trees and vines and cause rivers to gush forth in their midst carrying abundant water;
92. "Or thou cause the sky to fall in pieces as thou sayest (will happen) against us; or thou bring Allah and the angels before (us) face to face;
93. "Or thou have a house adorned with gold or thou mount a ladder right into the skies. No we shall not even believe in thy mounting until thou send down to us a book that we could read." Say: "Glory to my Lord! am I aught but a man an apostle?"
Section 1194. What kept men back from Belief when Guidance came to them was nothing but this: they said "Has Allah sent a man like us) to be (His) Apostle?"
95. Say "If there were settled on earth angels walking about in peace and quiet We should certainly have sent them down from the heavens an angel for an apostle."
96. Say: "Enough is Allah for a witness between me and you: for He is well- acquainted with His servants and He sees (all things)."97. It is he whom Allah guides that is on true guidance; but he whom He leaves astray for such wilt thou find no protector besides Him. On the Day of Judgment We shall gather them together prone on their faces blind dumb and deaf: their abode will be Hell: every time it shows abatement We shall increase for them the fierceness of the Fire.
98. That is their recompense because they rejected Our Signs and said "When we are reduced to bones and broken dust should we really be raised up (to be) a new Creation?"
99. See they not that Allah Who created the heavens and the earth has power to create the like of them (anew)? Only He has decreed a term appointed of which there is no doubt. But the unjust refuse (to receive it) except with ingratitude.
100. Say: "If ye had control of the Treasures of the Mercy of my Lord behold ye would keep them back for fear of spending them: for man is (ever) niggardly!"
Section 12101. To Moses We did give nine Clear Signs: ask the Children of Israel: when he came to them Pharaoh said to him: "O Moses! I consider thee indeed to have been worked upon by sorcery!"
102. Moses said "Thou knowest well that these things have been sent down by none but the Lord of the heavens and the earth as eye-opening evidence: and I consider thee indeed O Pharaoh to be one doomed to destruction!"
103. So he resolved to remove them from the face of the earth: but We did drown him and all who were with him.
104. And We said thereafter to the Children of Israel "Dwell securely in the land (of promise)": but when the second of the warnings came to pass We gathered you together in a mingled crowd.105. We sent down the (Qur'an) in Truth and in Truth has it descended: and We sent thee but to give Glad Tidings and to warn (sinners).
106. (It is) a Qur'an which We have divided (into parts from time to time) in order that thou mightest recite it to men at intervals: We have revealed it by stages.
107. Say: "Whether ye believe in it or not it is true that those who were given knowledge beforehand when it is recited to them fall down on their faces in humble prostration"
108. And say: "Glory to our Lord! truly has the promise of our Lord been fulfilled!"
109. They fall down on their faces in tears and it increases their (earnest) humility.
110. Say: "Call upon Allah or call upon Rahman: by whatever name ye call upon Him (it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names. Neither speak thy Prayer aloud nor speak it in a low tone but seek a middle course between."
111. Say: "Praise be to Allah Who begets no son and has no partner in (His) dominion: nor (needs) He any to protect Him from humiliation: Yea magnify Him for His greatness and glory!"